Sunday, July 29, 2012

Review: STEAMCREAM

I bought this a long, long time ago but never got around to reviewing it. I've since then finished all of the product and refilled my tin with The Body Shop body butter. I believe STEAMCREAM is a sister company to Lush, but please correct me if I'm wrong.


Description

SteamCream represents the latest concept in skincare. Freshly handmade using high-quality, natural ingredients that are fused together by a shot of steam. This unique method makes the cream very lightweight, providing long-lasting hydration for the face. The texture also makes it a perfect nourishing treat for your body and hands too.

SteamCream is handmade in the UK and Japan with fresh, traceable ingredients. It’s super-moisturising, sinks deep down instantly and revives your skin straight away. It makes your skin simply the best it can be, naturally.

"Kingyo is Japanese for goldfish, and this design interprets a traditional image: different varieties of fish happily swimming in amongst the plants in their pale blue pond." UK site


Key Ingredients

Oatmeal Infusion (Avena Sativa), Orange Flower Water  (Citrus Aurantium amara, Aqua), Almond Oil (Prunus Dulcis), Cocoa Butter (Theobroma Cacao), Organic Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia Chinensis), Lavender Essential Oil (Lavendula Angustifolia), Chamomile Blue Essential Oil (Chamomilla Reticulata), Orange Blossom Absolute (Citrus Aurantium Dulcis), Rose Absolute (Rosa Damascena), Neroli Oil (Citrus Aurantium amara)

Ingredients

Oatmeal Infusion (Avena sativa), Orange Flower Water (Citrus Aurantium amara, Aqua), Almond Oil (Prunus dulcis), Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Glycerine, Stearic Acid, Triethanolamine, Organic Jojoba Oil (Simmondsia chinensis), Lavender Oil (Lavandula augustifolia), Chamomile Blue Oil (Chamomilla recutita), Orange Blossom Absolute (Citrus Aurantium dulcis), Rose Absolute (Rosa damascena), Neroli Oil (Citrus Aurantium amara), Cetyl Stearyl Alcohol, *Coumarin, *Geraniol, *Citronellol, * Limonene, *Linalool, Perfume, Methylparaben, Propylparaben.

Use

You can use this cream on your face, hands, or body, depending on your preference.

Price:

12.95 GBP (about $20 USD)

Where to Buy:

STEAMCREAM website or other websites like Amazon

Pros

♥ really great designs and a wide arrange to choose from
♥ reusable tin; small size is good for traveling or carrying in handbag

Cons

♥ too heavy to use on face
♥ earthy scent
♥ expensive as a body cream


My Thoughts

The texture is liquid-y but this is definitely not a lightweight moisturizer. I tried using it as a face cream, even as a night cream, but it just felt like a thick, heavy layer on my skin. I used the cream mostly as a hand cream and for any parts of my  body that needed extra moisturizer. I think for the small amount of cream you get, the price is a bit high for a body cream, especially when I didn't find the cream to be extra nourishing compared to other body creams that I've used.

The scent is described as herbal but to me, it really just makes me think of freshly mowed grass or gardening, go figure. Of course, scent is a personal preference. I've heard this cream works great on eczema but I can't personally comment on that.

Truthfully what I liked most was the design of the tin. I love that the tins are reusable and they're great for carrying in a handbag or for traveling on airplanes. I think the limited edition designs are unique and these would make cute gifts.

Would I repurchase?

If I was to find a cute design and for a cheaper price than retail (say about $10 or less), I would be tempted to buy it just for the tin! However, for the cream itself, I don't plan on repurchasing.

Here are some other available designs that I think are pretty.

Yume
http://steamcream.co.uk/Shop/Yume

Plum blossom bursting into bloom is the first sign of spring. Tiny pink and white blossoms filling country and town hearts with hope and happiness.



Eurasia
http://steamcream.co.uk/Shop?product_id=121
European flowers in an Asian design combining the delights of both cultures in a calming, colourful creation.



Yoshino
http://steamcream.co.uk/Shop/Yoshino
Outstandingly beautiful sakura, cherry blossom, Somei-yoshino, has such a short time to fill the world with beauty each spring. Pale pink blossoms burst out on top of each other inviting you into their dream world.


Have you tried SteamCream? Let me know what you think of it and if the steam technology made the cream more beneficial for your skin!

26 comments:

  1. My thoughts exactly! I would only buy them really for the design on the tins. I love the design of the one you have, and the various blossom ones. I have tried them in shops that stock them, and was surprised how heavy and non-absorbent they felt. I didn't think I would be able to use it as a face moisturiser and it really is extremely expensive for body! But I have bought a few as gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow...I'll admit it - I would buy all of these just for the tin design. They certainly know how to get to their consumers, with those beautiful designs! I am so in love with the very first one - I love koi fish, so this is absolutely perfect.








    ♥ xixia | thisisxixia.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree. The design is super cute. But I think price is too high.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm on my second tin! I love the design but I agree with you, it gets really pricey if you slather it everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard of them, but never really had any strong urge to get them only because I know I wouldn't use them often enough. The tins are super pretty, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think because Steam Cream is a bit pricey for what it is, it's still something I would purchase as a gift. The packaging is just crazy cute and/or pretty...I re-used my tin to put body moisturizer as a travel container and it's the perfect size for a week-long trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've used steam cream before! It's a little too thick to use on the face but I like it a lot on the body and hand.. I didn't know it's Lush's sister company.. it's probably likely since Steam cream is from the UK, just like Lush ^^ Love steam cream tins too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The tins and designs are so awesome! I think that's really sweet of you to buy them as gifts, especially since I don't think it's as easy to get outside of the UK and Japan unless ordering online. If I saw them in shops here, I'd definitely be more tempted to buy them, whether for myself or as gifts for others! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ohhh I want to see which designs you have! Do you use it as a hand cream or face cream?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh I think they are more popular and easy to find in the UK and Japan, otherwise mostly online. I have rather dry skin so I'm always interested in skin care that sounds like miracle products, lol. XD

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ahh if the price was just a bit lower (especially since I'd most likely also have to pay for shipping) I'd buy for the designs, hehe. It's probably easier for you to find since you are in Japan. I really do love the design and being able to reuse the tin! Definitely those factors alone make them great gifts. =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hehe you are double lucky since you can probably get them quite easily in both the UK and Japan! I read something like the creator is also from Lush or something like that. I'd love it if Lush started having unique designs and tin packaging too, even if they just sold them on the side or as empty tins! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. omg cutest packaging ever!!!! i've heard others say it's super thick too. perhaps it'll be more useful in the winter time

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree I would only get it for the tin. It's adorable! Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Please check out my blog
    http://ariantyolyvs.blogspot.hk/ thx <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just reading the ingredients I would not want to put that on my face, it looks really heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Diana, the steamcream packagings are so cute! pretty designs! I would give it a try just to see if it works :) Thanks for the review ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  18. ah those tins look so pretty. i have a thing for pretty tins, i just buy tea, cream or even mints if they come in pretty tins!
    it doesn't sound like the cream itself is something i'd like, but it is still tempting. lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. The tins are gorgeous, I love the Yoshino one. I've seen these featured on blogs and I'm curious to try it out, but I'm not sure if I like the sound of the thick texture! Especially as it is quite pricey if I'm only going to be using it on my hands or body. I prefer to spend more money on face creams.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am the same! I am such a sucker for cute and pretty packaging, hehe. I have a bunch of empties that I should really use by filling them with other products, hehe. The tin is always the most tempting thing to me! I think it's a good thing not to lust for this though since we can probably only find it online and I don't think the price with shipping is really worth it. =X

    ReplyDelete
  21. I agree! I really lusted for this product since I'd read a lot of positive reviews for it, but looking back, only the tin impressed me. Otherwise, I'd rather get a face cream or a body cream that has more product for the price. =) I think the feeling of the thick cream on my face is similar to Lush face creams, so if you've tried those before you will have an idea of how this one feels.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I fell for the packaging too, hehe. I actually saw some while I was shopping in Seoul and was almost tempted to get another one! But I had to remind myself that the cream didn't really do much for me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hehe isn't it? If Lush packaged their creams like that, I think more people would buy them! Have you tried any of Lush's face creams? The thick feeling is a bit similar to that. I don't think it absorbs very well (at least not for me) but then again, everyone's skin is different as well as the climate we live in. =)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hehe aww we are both suckers for packaging. You're welcome! =)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've never tried steamcream, but I would certainly buy a product just because of the cute packaging >_> lol

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lol I've heard it works pretty well on some people, especially with eczema, but for me it was definitely the cute packaging!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails