Monday, September 24, 2012

Zoya "Cassi" and "Mieko" Nail Polishes

Zoya was having a promotion a while ago (a long, long while ago) where they were giving away two free nail polishes for the price of shipping (and a very long wait! I waited about a month). I'd set these polishes aside and forgotten all about them until recently.



I hadn't tried any Zoya nail polishes before and I'd wanted to stay away from the usual pinks (always a safe color, but one I already have plenty of) so I searched for swatches online and to be honest, that didn't really help, lol. The same color would look more warm or cool depending on lighting etc. So here I took pictures using my new DSLR and adjusted the colors to be as true to life as I could. By the way, I noticed these pictures look much darker and more cool and purple than warm and pink on my laptop versus my desktop - how does it look on your monitor? Please let me know if it's too dark and I will fix it!

Zoya Nail Polish "Cassi"

description from Zoya website

Zoya Nail Polish in Cassi can be best described as: Light warm peachy-pink with coral tones and sparkling white gold shimmer. An undeniably girly shade for fingers and toes.

Color Family: Corals
Finish: Metallic
Intensity: 5 ( 1=Sheer - 5=Opaque )
Tone: Warm
Original Collection: Twist


First, let me correct the intensity and say it's 1-2, as in very sheer! I usually apply thin coats and I could totally see through the polish in my first two coats, and still somewhat in the third coat. (You can tell from the bottle that I had to use a lot of it for my fingers and toesies.) That being said, I think this color looks best when it's sheer, because the more opaque it gets, the murkier the color appears. I knew this would be sheer but the problem is that the sheerness makes it look uneven, for me at least. In the future, as in next spring, I will probably try using this color as a base for a gradient. This color is definitely more peach than pink, and a very subtle, muted shade.

Zoya Nail Polish "Mieko"

description from Zoya website

Zoya Nail Polish in Mieko can be best described as: A rosy pink with a touch of orange and tons of bold metallic gold shimmer. More glamorous than the usual pink!

Color Family: Pinks
Finish: Metallic
Intensity: 5 ( 1=Sheer - 5=Opaque )
Tone: Cool
Original Collection: Flourish


Why does this color look so different on my nails than in the bottle (in the picture)? Actually, it's a trick of lighting. In bright lighting, the color looks more ruby, if dark pink could be a ruby-but-not-quite-red color. It's a little more blue-based than it appears on my nails in the picture. Thankfully it's not as sheer as Cassi but it's definitely not the most opaque of my nail polishes. It has a delicate gold shimmer which is very pretty, although much more apparent in the bottle than on my nails. It also looks more like a berry shade in darker lighting or raspberry in artificial and yellow lighting. This came from a holiday collection which makes sense to me - it's a pretty and festival alternative to your usual holiday red polish.

 I was a little disappointed with these colors, but luckily I do have two more that will probably be more appropriate for fall.

What colors have you or would you want to try from Zoya?

14 comments:

  1. thanks for your honest reviews and great swatches ;)
    i really like the first color on you.
    it is a shame their indication of color intensity is a little off, though.
    i love zoya for their colors and i think they apply nicely for a big 3 formula (if you know what i mean. hehe)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lena! The first color looks better in pic than in person, lol. I think it would look nice on fairer skin tones like yours! I like 3 free formulas too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They look pretty in your pictures! How do you find the formula? It's a shame their descriptions of intensity are off - that's really unhelpful! I've been curious about Zoya, but it sounds like it's better to check reviews before purchasing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The formula for Cassi was a bit runny but Mieko was good. They're good for 3 free but don't replace OPI for me. I think the best time to try them is if there's a good promotion or sale! Definitely a good idea to check reviews and swatches online, although the colors can look different depending on lighting but I think the website descriptions and images are not the most accurate. I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm loving the
    Mieko because I love polishes with a hint of shimmers! It just made the color more pretty ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks! That's good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The colours are very pretty, I've never tried Zoya polishes before. :3

    http://lifelivinginlondon.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love shimmers too! Hopefully in the future, I will be able to choose colors from Zoya more accurately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aw thanks! It was my first time. I like that the brand is "big5 free" of harmful chemicals. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cassi is so pretty but Mieko is odd... It really does look different from the bottle. I was excited to see the darker pink shade in your first pic but it turns out to be a ruby-wine colour... still fall appropriate though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cassi is super pretty!! Very cute yet girly nails <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes! It really changes with the lighting too, but I always figure that natural lighting would match the color in the bottle. I saw someone do a really pretty gradient with it so maybe I'll try that in the future. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's funny there was less contrast in real life, but it doesn't look bad in the picture! I think it'd be a nice peachy color on your fair skin tone. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails